Body painting can be a great way of showcasing art on your own body in a unique way, but how do you go about choosing the best body paint?
You can create enticing art patterns and matchless designs that manifest your tastes and choices.
In this detailed guide, we will go over the most common types of paints for body painting, and also the best ones.
What Kind Of Paint Is Used For Body Painting?
Using body paints is a creative way to decorate your body. Unlike tattoos, body painting is not permanent.
That’s why many people prefer body painting. However, not all body paints are safe for your skin. That’s why you should be familiar with different types of body paint that can be used for body painting to avoid damaging or irritating your skin.
There are different types of body paints available on the market and these are the most popular:
Water-based paints are extremely popular among body painters and professional models. These paints are non-toxic and can be rubbed off easily. However, you have to follow a strict set of guidelines for their safe use.
Water-based body paint don’t last for a long period. That’s why these are not suitable for long modeling events.
Metallic Body Paint
You have most probably seen many performers on the streets who look like golden or silver statues? Right? They are called human statues, and they use metallic body paints for getting that shiny look.
Always use these paints with caution because they contain a metal powder that may irritate your skin. Plus, these paints don’t come off easily.
Alcohol-Based Body Paint
Alcohol-based paints are used to create special effects or in a particular situation. For instance, these are ideal for underwater body painting. These paints are water-proof so sweat can’t make them crack.
Some types of alcohol paints contain toxic elements. Therefore, you should choose a well-ventilated area to remove the paint to avoid harm.
Latex Body Paint
Latex body paint is another popular body paint that is used for cosplayers. The paint is not only affordable but also doesn’t leave any residue on your skin. However, you should use it with caution.
If you are latex allergic, don’t use it. These paints work like wax. That’s why you should shave the areas where you want to apply this paint. Otherwise, you will be in great trouble when taking it off the skin.
Henna is a traditional body paint that is commonly used in different parts of Africa, India, Pakistan, and the Middle East. It is extracted from the henna plant and it leaves a brownish stain on your skin when applied.
It is used for different important occasions. For example, women use this paint when they are about to get married.
Best Body Paints for Face and Body Painting
1. Mehron Makeup Paradise Makeup AQ Face and Body Paint
Mehron Makeup AQ is the best paint that is loved by professionals worldwide. It is one of the most popular water-based body paints and its revolutionary formula prevents it from cracking or fading off.
The water-activated body and face paint is available in 40 different colors like Beach Berry, Felou, Light Pink, Metallic purple, etc.
This high-quality paint comes with plenty of skin-soothing ingredients like Vitamin E, Lemongrass, Aloe, and Avocado.
It is extremely easy to apply and remove. You can use a sponge or airbrush to apply it to your skin.
- Easy to apply and the package contains a mirror on the box that offers convenience
- The paint is easy to remove because it’s water-soluble
- It doesn’t become cracky for a longer time
- The paint is safe for the skin due to its toxic-free ingredients
- It is available at an affordable price.
- If you need a complex design it might be expensive to buy all of the colors you need
- Available in limited color options
2. Midnight Glo UV Reactive Face and Body Paint
Midnight Glo is another premium quality face and body paint that comes with a creamy texture. It is available in 6 bright neon dayglow colors:
Due to its non-toxic nature, it is ideal for kids. The paint dries up quickly in no time. That’s why you won’t face any problems when applying it to your skin.
Price: $16.95 (pack of 6) & $17.95 (pack of 7)
- The product is extremely easy to apply.
- Made of non-irritating and non-toxic ingredients
- It has no fragrance so you won’t need any mask.
- Glows brightly in UV lighting
- Not suitable for lengthy events
3. Neon Nights UV Body Paint
Neon Nights UV is high-rated body paint that is perfect for music festivals, raves, parties, and more. It also comes in 8 vibrant colors such as orange, pink, green, white, and more.
These colors brightly glow under black and ultraviolet light. The paint is easily removable from clothes, furniture, and your body with soap and water.
- Easy to remove from your skin and other items
- Makes you stand out from the crowd due to the intense neon glow
- Very affordable price
- It’s allergic-free
- Available in limited color options
4. Madisi Body Paint Set
Madisi can be a great purchase option due to its non-toxic nature. The painting set comes with 12 vivid and bold colors that make you stand out in different kinds of events.
Some of the colors include lemon yellow, vermilion sap green, titanium white, phthalo blue, etc.
It’s safe for your skin as well as for the environment.
- Easily removable
- Perfect for face and entire body
- Composed of non-allergic ingredients
- Comes with a broad range of colors
- It’s a bit difficult to apply.
- Takes time to dry
5. Snazaroo Face Paint Kit Ultimate Party Pack
Snazaroo face paint is made of safe ingredients that are approved by the US Food and Drug Administration (FDA). That’s why it doesn’t damage your delicate skin no matter whether you apply it for a shorter or a longer period.
This fragrance-free paint is water-soluble. That’s it easily comes off with soap and water. You can apply it in 3 easy steps mentioned in the guidelines. A party pack of this paint comes in 12 colors including red, yellow, green, pink, etc.
Price: $20.31 (party pack) & $24.30 (party pack + sponge)
- Being a water-based paint makes it easily washable
- Made of non-toxic ingredients and approved by dermatologists and toxicologists
- The paint dries off quickly
- The product is a bit expensive.
- It’s not sweatproof or waterproof
6. CC Beauty Professional Cosmetics 12 Colors Face and Body Paint
CC Beauty Professional paint is made of superior-grade ingredients. These paints are much brighter than other water-based colors.
Its stunning oil-based color palette makes it irresistible because oil creates a superb radiant effect on your skin. It makes your night party memorable with a high-profile photoshoot.
- Can be a great gift.
- Long-lasting body paint
- Looks superb because of the incredible radiant effect
- Difficult to come off
- Not suitable for kids
- It can stains clothes
7. Mosaiz Face Painting Sticks
Mosaiz is a non-toxic and water-activated paint that is made of skin-friendly ingredients. It doesn’t cause itching and skin burning. That’s why it is popular among all ages. This paint pack can be a perfect gift item for your beloved ones.
- FDA-approved body and face paint
- Easy to apply
- Ideal for all ages
- Silver and gold sticks are included
- The sticks are soft and can be damaged easily.
- It’s a bit expensive
8. Custom Body Art 8 Color Airbrush Face and Body Paint Set
It’s a water-based paint that comes with 8 easy to remove colors. This FDA-approved paint can be extremely easy to apply to your skin using an airbrush.
Blending one color with another creates stunning shades. Being a water-soluble color makes it easy to dry and effortless to wash.
- Colors dry very fast.
- Ideal for kids because it’s water-based body paint
- Effortless to apply
- The price is very high
- It does not last long
- It’s not waterproof or sweatproof
9. Tag Body Art Face Paint Palette
This is an amazing palette that comes with 12 amazing colors. Some of the colors include Red, Black, White, Light Blue, Purple, and Pink. Colors are made of high-quality ingredients that don’t fade off after a long time.
- Easy to remove from your skin and clothes
- Creates a smooth texture on your skin
- Perfect for the body as well as the face
- Doesn’t take a lot of time to dry
- It is expensive as compared to its competitors
10. Neon Glow Blacklight Body Paint
If you are looking for the brightest body paint, this might be the finest option for you. It is a set of 6 non-toxic and non-allergic colors. You don’t need to worry about rashes and other allergic reactions if you have sensitive skin.
- No skin irritation
- No stains on clothes
- Can be used for a long time without worrying about smudging
- Extremely easy to use
- Doesn’t dry quickly
- Color options are limited
- Its price is quite high
11. iLC Neon Colors For Face and Body
iLC neon color can be one of the best color accessories for different types of occasions like clubbing, birthday, concerts, parties, anniversaries, etc. The paint is non-toxic and very kind to the skin. I
t doesn’t contain any harmful chemicals that may damage your skin. You can apply it to your skin for as long as you want without damaging your skin.
- Glows brightly under black light
- Comes with 6 vibrant neon fluorescent colors
- Doesn’t contain any harmful chemicals
- It can stain your clothes if applied carelessly
12. Graftobian Pro-Pain – 12 Color Master Kit
This is a high-quality paint that is specially made for professionals and cosplayers. Though it’s a water-based paint, it lasts longer and offers higher pigmentation than any other water-based paint available on the market.
The only downside of the paint is that it’s extremely expensive. So everyone can’t afford it.
- Comes with a smooth and consistent texture
- Gives a professional look
- Great variety of colors
- You can use it for complex designs
- One of the most expensive options
- Offers limited color in that price range
13. Unicorn Snot Vegan Glitter Gel
Unicorn snot is an excellent glittery gel that gives a spectacular sparkly look when you apply it. You can use this gel on the face, body, and even eyes because it doesn’t contain any harmful chemicals in it. It dries quickly so you won’t need to sit still and wait until it dries.
- It dries instantly
- Extremely easy to apply
- Easy to remove using baby wipes, clothes, etc.
- Can be applied to the face, eyeshadow, cheeks, lips, and hairs
- Perfect to use at any party like raves, clubs, and parties.
- Not suitable for all ages
- Its sparkly look is not for everyone
14. Blue Squid Face Paint Kit
Blue Squid is another great addition to this list. If you want to stand out on any type of occasion, go with this party wear. The paint comes up with a nice range of colors that don’t harm your sensitive skin at all. Its 1 classic pack contains 12 colors which are enough for more than 100 faces.
- One pack is enough for 100+ faces
- Perfect for sensitive skin because of its hypoallergenic and paraben-free nature
- Can easily be removed using soap and water
- Brushes are of low quality
- The quality could be better
15. Face Paint Kit By Artiparty
The face paint kit is water-based, paraben-free, hypoallergenic, and non-toxic. Therefore, it won’t harm your skin and doesn’t cause any type of allergic reaction. You can control the intensity of color by adjusting the amount of water.
- The colors last longer and don’t fade off easily
- You can easily remove it using soap and water
- This paint has a consistency problem.
- It doesn’t have the perfect smooth look
16. Craft Pro Face Paint
It’s a great value kit that comes in 16 different colors including gold and silver shades. Plus, this kit includes 30 stencils, five applications, and a travel palette. The vegan and cruelty-free paints are non-toxic and fragrance-free. It’s perfectly okay to use them on sensitive skin.
- It doesn’t stain your clothes.
- Provides a consistent look
- It dries quickly without any cracks
- It is a water-soluble color that makes it easy to remove
- It lasts only for a few hours
17. Athena Face Body Paint Oil Palette
The Athena oil palette is full of vibrant colors and offers mover coverage than water-based paints. It contains 20 excellent quality colors that are perfect for different types of painting. The paint stays on your skin all night for a long time.
- Comes in 20 different colors
- It stays for a long period because it’s oil-based body paint
- The color includes shimmer and matte finishes
- It’s extremely difficult to remove due to its clingy stuff
18. Charmcode Face and Body Paints
If you prefer a palette over bottles or tubes, this paint is the finest option for you. It comes in 15 glowing colors including white and black. Oil paints are ideal for detail work so you can apply them to your face precisely.
- The palette comes with 15 stunning different colors
- It’s non-allergic and doesn’t harm your skin
- Several colors at an affordable price
- It’s a bit difficult to apply as compared to bottle and tube paints.
19. ICOLORY Cosmetic Makeup Glitter
A cosmetic makeup glitter is an excellent option for both body and face painters. The pack comes with 6 flashy colors and can achieve anybody’s painting look. The application of the paint is straightforward. You can apply makeup using a brush or even your fingertips.
- It’s safe for the skin as well as the environment.
- The makeup glitter is extremely easy to use.
- It’s vegan and cruelty-free.
- Can easily apply using a makeup brush.
- You will have to use makeup remover to remove the paint.
20. Red Ruby Face Paint Kit
It’s an incredible body paint that comes with zero fragrance and zero animal by-products. It comes with 99 stunning varieties that further forms hundreds of new shades. Red Ruby is a perfect item for both professional and amateur users. It is made of high-quality ingredients.
- Doesn’t fade off easily with sweat or water
- It comes with superb packaging
- The product can be a great gift
- Difficult to remove
- The paint is quite expensive
There are plenty of different types of face and body paints available in the market. Choosing the best of the best paint can be a daunting job. We have tried our best to compile a list of the best paints with different price ranges that fulfill everyone’s needs.
Depending on your needs, you can pick any of the abovementioned paint kits. The list contains all types of paints including neon paint kits, kid’s face paints, and kits for artists. All paints are amazing enough to make you stand out among the crowd.
I am a true enthusiast of all things painting, with a deep appreciation for the versatility and limitless possibilities of paint, and I am always eager to experiment with new techniques and styles and share that with my readers.